Wednesday, March 11, 2009

THE PINCH HITTER

When tough but untested JOEY BRAGANTI joined a crew of Brooklyn mobsters he had no idea it would be so... boring; he spent more time in front of a computer than he did shaking people down. That all changes when his crew's top HITTER comes down with the flu the day he's supposed to rub out a top lieutenant of the rival HANRAHAN FAMILY; Joey, called off the bench to make his first kill and finally become a made man, discovers not only that his target is childhood best friend PETEY HEALY but that Petey is engaged to marry "the one who got away" CHRISTINA MUSTARD. Joey kidnaps the two instead and flees, bringing the wrath of both families down upon him.


"When destiny calls, sometimes you should let it ring through."

4 comments:

Marvin Miranda said...

I think I was much more interested in the "in front of a computer working for the mob" angle, than him doing the typical mob stuff. If he's going to turn into a regular mobster, than what's the point of him starting off on the computer and seeing that he's bored with the job? I think the computer mob geek angle is one I personally haven't seen before and am wondering what situations can arise from that role that could keep me enthralled like most mobster movies do? You know, a high-tech mobsters who breaks away from generations-old tradition, etc.

Mr. Word Player said...

I'm gonna have to differ with you here MM. The comedy comes from the fact that he's joined the mob and instead of doing the things he sees in movies, he's more or less an administrative assistant. Then, when he finally gets called on to do some real mobster shit, he discovers he's not up to the task and goes on the run. That said, I encourage you to develop the "mob geek" angle for a script of your own! Run with it! Although be careful of a movie that features many scenes where the lead character stares into a computer screen and types furiously...

Mr. Word Player said...

I don't know about you, but I found SWORDFISH painfully dull.

Marvin Miranda said...

You couldn't have paid me to see Swordfish, which, I guess, is why I'm not familiar with that angle at all. . .

I don't think I originally read it as a comedy since it reads pretty dramatic at the end.

I don't do mobsters. . .