Thursday, May 10, 2007

We've All Been There

BIRTHDAY: noun, the annual anniversary of the day on which a person was born, typically treated as an occasion for celebration and present-giving: "I'm getting a dollhouse for my birthday" | [as adj. ] a birthday cake | the birthday boy.

the day of one's birth: "she shares a birthday with Paul McCartney."

the anniversary of something starting or being founded: "the staff celebrated the twenty-fifth birthday of the paper."

PHRASES: in one's birthday suit: naked.


I LOVE celebrating my birthday, and today Mrs. Word Player and I took the day off to celebrate the 27th birthday of Mz. Art Designer.

And it was good.

And it is good.

And it shall be good, for goodness' sakes.

I wonder if parents think of a child's "birth day" as often/fondly/reluctantly/angrily/etc. as the actual celebrant does. obviously, no one has a memory of their own birth day, yet I'd wager every parent remembers the birth days they went through first hand (even if they forget the actual date it occured).

right?

the date on the calendat that our birthday falls upon is so completely out of OUR control that it's curious that THAT's the day that most of us step into or out of the spotlight reserved for us once a year.

why isn't "Mother's Day" celebrated on the day that the mother gave birth and became a mother (doesn't matter if it's for the first, second, or tenth time), and everybody's birthday celebrated on the day that...

huh.

the day that we all...

hmmm.

wait, wait... it'll come to me.

No comments: