Thursday, September 27, 2007

Down Peripatetiscope

Mrs. Word Player and I are on the move.

Again.

For reasons too tedious to include here, we are about to move into our sixth place together spanning our seven years of marriage. With yet another new home looming, I've been pondering just what "home" means anymore.

There's no place like home? Well, not 'til one falls on your sister's head.

Some personal statistics:

From age 0-17, I lived in six different homes, including three interstate moves. The math is pretty easy here, averaging about one home every three years.

From age 18-27, I lived in ten different homes, including three more interstate moves. That's an average of one new home every year for a decade.

From age 28-36, as mentioned above, Mrs. Word Player and I lived/will live in six different homes, including two more interstate moves. That works out to a new home every 1.5 years.

My grand totals fo' life are 22 different homes in 36 years, or one move every 1.63 years and one interstate move every 4.5 years.

Exhausting I tells ya!

Frankly I'm not ready to be on the road again... but whattaya gonna do?

It's gotten to the point that when someone asks me where I'm from, I have to stop and think about it for a second. Let's see what state takes home the title (rounding off to whole years):

Ohio: 10 years
North Carolina: 13 years
California: 9 years
New York: 4 years

ah, the Sunshine State!

I guess I'm from North Carolina!

In surfing around for this post, I learned that a fellow named John Howard Payne is the originator of the famous line "Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home", taken from his song "Home Sweet Home". Payne, a member of the Songwriters Hall of Fame, ironically died far from home in Tunis, Tunisia (where he was serving as U.S. ambassador!) in 1852, his lifelong crush on Frankenstein author Mary Shelley forever unrequited.

I wonder where on Earth I'll die... I hope it's not New Jersey.

No comments: